LAW OF HAPPINESS
‘ They are happy whose life is blameless, who follow God’s law! They are happy who do his will, seeking him with all their hearts.’ – Psalm 119:1
Most people will rate “being happy” above everything else in their check list. But there are only a few who are willing to walk the talk by following the laws which lead to happiness. Here is my attempt to create a list from the wonderful readings of today. You will do well to study the readings first and then see how the laws apply to you and your situation at the moment:
- Conscious relationship with God: You have consciously seek God, know who He is, what He wants from you and what you are willing to give. Only then will every demand He makes of you make any sense.
- Obey the Law: The law is simply summarised as love of God and love of neighbour.
- Trust God: Believe that all that He permits to happen to you is for your own good, no matter how bad or sad it may appear.
- Be noble: Give your very best to everything God has blessed you with (skills, work, family, relationships etc.).
- Be generous: Give as much as you can to those who are in need. It is a worthy investment; the hand which gives is never empty.
- Be patient: Take your time and be painstaking in your actions and activities. Under the right circumstances everything good will come. If you are in a hurry, you will make a lot of mistakes.
- Love everyone: By everyone, I mean everyone. It is your biggest shield. No one can hurt you if you have true love in your heart. Fear is what exposes one to the power of evil.
- Don’t worry: We often focus on how bad people appear happy and good people suffer. We forget to easily the unmerited favours we enjoy. It helps to focus on the things God does for our good a bit more.
- Be hopeful: Hope is a virtue which helps us to place our trust in God, even when everything around screams to the contrary. Never lose this virtue. Everything falls apart when you lose hope.
- Get better: The best people in life know that there is always room for improvement and they keep improving themselves in every way.
- Start today: Because tomorrow might be too late.
These are the laws you need to be happy. Ask God for the grace to apply them as best you can everyday.
Lord, help me to put your word into practice; teach me to depend solely on your grace and strength to lead me from grace to grace.
Q. What is your biggest source of unhappiness?
Deuteronomy 26:16-19; Psalm 119:1-8; Matthew 5:43-48
See Other Articles »